Friday, January 21, 2011

Grant year, week three: writing, research, 'location scouting'

[[posterous-content:pid___0]] Wrote 2,000 words this morning, over at Toowong Library.

Did a bit of research into the Kibeho Massacre, and the corageous efforts of ADF personnel to save people. Amazing stuff.

On the way home I took some photographs of the Paddington Water Tower, and surrounds. My protagonist lives on a street that leads up to the water tower. He moves in there after breaking up with his girlfriend.

So, I was walking down the street and, guess what? There's a house for rent down there which, in many respects, was how I imagined his house. It was a little bit spooky. (But then, I like spooking myself out).

Seeing the locations gave me a few ideas for scenes that wouldn't have occured to me otherwise.

I'm hoping to get another 1,000 words of actual writing done this afternoon. Possibly three between now and the end of the week.

Without the grant, this week would have been a blow-out, given the uncertainties with work (our building was flooding) and my wife being sick (possibly Ross River Fever). So, once again, it's amazing how much difference a 'writing day' can make, and again I thank the Australia Council for making it possible!

Posted via email from garykemble's posterous

No comments: