Friday, September 03, 2010

Interview: Marianne de Pierres

Here's a quick interview with Marianne de Pierres (aka Marianne Delacourt)...

1. I see that you've got a packed schedule for WorldCon. Which panel are you most looking forward to being on, and which other panel/event are you looking forward to seeing?

Has Hollywood Sucked Vampires Dry? (Sunday 1300, Room 213) should be a lot of fun, but all of the panels are interesting. Who the other panelists are often determines how much you enjoy a topic, and all my fellow panellists for WorldCon are fabulous.

2. This is my first con since 2006, and first WorldCon ever. As a con veteran, do you have any advice for newbies such as myself?

Check back to the bar frequently, most real friendships are made there and the Dealer’s Room. Don’t expect to sleep much, and beware of a Cat Sparks room party – you may emerge changed forever.

3. I note that one of your panels is on jumping genres. You made your name with science fiction but you're having a lot of fun as Marianne Delacourt. How hard was it to make the jump from one to the other?

Ahem … I prefer the word “switching”, jumping connotes sinking ships! My reading tastes are eclectic and that often drives my writing muse. It’s always hard to break into a genre, a new voice can take a long time to build an audience. However, I don’t dwell on that too much, I’m writing books that I’m enjoying, that’s the bottom line.

4. What's the deal with writing under a different name? Is it so that the reader has a clear expectation when they buy a 'Marianne de Pierres' book or a 'Marianne Delacourt' book?

Yes. I’ve published seven SF novels and I didn’t want my SF readership confused. It’s a different style and tone and I think it’s only fair to signal that clearly.

5. Does Delacourt have her own back story, as Richard Bachman did?

Only in that she’s has a much more optimistic, lighter view on life. She deals with the murky stuff with humour.

6. You've also got a YA novel coming out next year. How challenging was it to jump into YA writing?

I guess only time will tell how the readers respond, but it is a very ‘personal’ piece. It is everything scary, sensual, mysterious, romantic, and adventurous that I ever wanted to read as a teen. I’m satisfied that I’ve written something very true to my original vision.

7. And is there potential for extra stress on the writer, when you have to keep two series going, instead of just one! (Admittedly, it would be a great quandary to be in!)

There are stresses when deadlines overlap, but for the most part its stimulating to have different stories to work on. I hate the feeling of being bogged down in one world, with one set of characters only. That’s when you can get a little crazy and want to kill them all off!

8. Is there one piece of wisdom you wish you'd had when you first set your sights on becoming a published writer?

I have a couple of succinct pieces of advice and you can read them here: http://www.mariannedepierres.com/extras/writing-tips/

Posted via email from garykemble's posterous

No comments: