Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Tim Winton: story is the key

One of my colleagues at ABC News Online interviewed Tim Winton yesterday, talking to him about his latest novel Breath and writing in general.

You can read the feature here. I blogged it at Articulate, but I thought it was worth distilling the quote even further here:
"The magic of story overcomes most geographical or political or even age or
gender differences between people."

I know that that resonates with the sf project I'm working on at the moment (was agonising over the setting and nationality of the characters) and I'm sure it resonates with most other writers as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It certainly factors in to the development of intimacy between me and my characters. I enjoyed Tim's 'talk' too. He's an unexpected character.